Independence Day

I'm leaving in ten hours to fly out of the country. I'm staying at my uncle's tonight and on the drive down, our car followed three different neighborhood fireworks. It reminded me of all of the years that I go up north with my parents to the lake house and we spend the holiday at a friends house with our own firework show. Dad built a launch pad and everyone parks their boats at the end of our pier to watch the show!
So there I was, ridding in the back seat, watching the fireworks soar across the sky. We passed an open field and there must have been a million fireflies flickering among the tall grass.  I spent many summer nights in my front yard chasing fireflies; I even had one of those 'raise-your-own caterpillar' kits where you stuck them in a screened-in house and watched them grow... needless to say it became a bug house, but a lovely home for my lightning bug friends.

As you can imagine, the past month has been filled with bittersweet, heartfelt 'goodbyes'. Some I was anticipating and others that I would never be ready for.  In the end, there are a couple of friends to whom I was evidently upset leaving and that was the Latino culture.  I spent one of my last nights salsa dancing and found myself in tears upon leaving.  Why was I so upset? I wondered the same, then it all hit me: since moving to Minneapolis, my eyes were opened up to a whole new beautiful culture. I have enjoyed learning the Spanish language, attending the birthday parties and soccer games, and trying different foods (and learning to like to spicy foods!).  How could I forget the relationships and irreplaceable friendships that I gained?  I learned so much about myself and my own life than I would have ever expected!
Even just comparing my childhood to theirs... I couldn't imagine leaving my family and life behind at 17 or 18 years old to go to a country that didn't speak my language!  Everyone always says that America is the place for glory, America is the place for success...we all strive for the AMERICAN DREAM!
Tell me this, why don't I?  In learning about myself and how I was raised, I see how success is measured.  Go to school, graduate, get a job, raise a family, provide for those you love.... repeat.repeat.repeat.  Where is it in there to   live.your.life.  ?  Salsa dancing and exploring another culture gave me that opportunity, that "outlet"- if you will- to LIVE my life while I was in college.  And from these past four years, I've realized that this is what I strive for: difference.  I get my energy from meeting new people, stepping outside of my comfort zone, just the pure bliss of pushing my own limits.  From all of the experiences I've had, clubs I've joined, in the end, I wouldn't change a thing.
And to all of the friends who have helped me become who I am today: words cannot express my gratitude and how grateful I am of the lessons that you've taught me and that you are in my life.

Today, American turns 235. It's Independence Day for me as well.  Amen to the stars and stripes and the land that I love. I will always be proud to be born an American child; I will never forget my roots.

Close.

Comments

Popular Posts