SPAIN: Bilbao/Pamplona (Running of the Bulls)


Liv and I arrived in Bilbao on Friday night about 8pm after our bus was an hour late. Begoña and Juan-José picked us up from the bus stop and instantly started speaking spanish! [I understand more than I can speak, but sometimes, if they speak too quickly, I miss out!] Anyway it was SO great to see them and they were just as I remembered!  Juan drove us the long loop-way back home so we could cut through the hills/bluffs/mountains and get some beautiful overlooks of Bilbao.  I kept telling them how gorgeous it was and how I felt bad that Leyre came to stay with us and how our town isn’t nearly as scenic as Bilbao.  Much of that car ride was me just sighing and taking it all in. I’m in Bilbao, Leyre’s hometown.  I’ve been waiting to be here since we met and I’ve been waiting almost 5 years to see Leyre in person again!
Anyway, we drove past their apartment complex and Juan showed us the harbor… absolutely stunning with the sunset, the waves crashing on the cluffs and the boats in the harbor lot.  I was convinced that I’d go for a run down there sometime over the weekend.
                  We returned at the Anza residence and I was overjoyed to see Leyre.  She had been studying all day so was a bit exhausted, but, join the crowd- so were myself and Livi!  It worked out nicely, we ate my favorite meal for dinner (Spanish ham and salmon on toast with garlic, tomatoes, and olive oil!) and then we all retired to BED!
Saturday I got up early to wish Leyre the best of luck on her last university exam ever! Liv and I hung out for a few hours around the house, then fell back asleep until 3pm when we had to start getting ready for Juan (Leyre’s cousin) to pick us up for Pamplona.
                  6:30pm came quickly and in his tiny car we went! Juan’s UK friend, Jocelin rode along with… absolutely adorable!  We shared great views of the mountains and the clouds hovering over them on our way, as well as good chats about life and what we’re involved in. Two hours later, we arrived at Juan and Leyre’s cousin, Alejandro’s apartment. We spent the night playing drinking games and meeting some of their friends.  The 4 girls we met were a hoot! It reminded me of high school and college days while just bumming around, chatting, and drinking. It made me want to know Spanish even more though! Liv and I taught them how to play “Thumper” and made it into a drinking game. (hysterical!) Great idea for a non-translation game and everyone can understand J

The clock struck eleven and we were off to the center of town. To say Pamplona was packed with people is an understatement; I have never seen anything like this in my life!  I compared it to Mifflin Block Party but at night…. times 20. I have never seen that many people in one whole town at one time! And in a SEA of white! Everyone had white trousers and tops on, then either a red scarf, bandana or belt.  I felt a bit out of place because I was wearing jeans and a red tank, but luckily I brought my white and red ‘Sconnie t-shirt!
                  The night was unforgettable. We met so many people and just bar/club-hopped in the town. One bar was so packed that it took almost 10 minutes to get out because the street was so crammed with people, you couldn’t walk out! People stay up all night long partying through until the running of the bulls at 8am. That’s what we did anyway, and most of the night we spend on the lawn of the town square, just about one block from the street where the bulls run.  I was blown away with how consistent and full the square remained, whether it was 11:30pm or 6am!
It was a bit comical because this entire week, Livi and I have been goo-goo-ga-ga over Spaniard guys and we were telling the girls (Claudia, Sylvia, Andrea) about how much we wanted a spanish boy…. Meanwhile them and Leyre insisted that Spaniards aren’t worth or time, but chicos americanos are! Haha, “Oli” and I disagreed. At some point, I overheard two American guys talking and I told Sylvia and Claudia to go over and chat with them, “hay muchachos americanos allá, bamos!” They were shy but I went right up to them and started a conversation. Four guys all friends from a University in Texas but from all over; very nice; and guapos! HAha, the look on those girls’ faces were priceless; all wide-eyed and nearly drooling. You’d think you were watching a fat kid at a candy store with his nose pressed up against the glass counter peering at all of the sweets.  After bar-hopping with them for an hour or so, we exchanged facebook names via writing on each other’s arms.  We would have stayed with them a bit longer but they’d lost another friend… the same thing happened the night before and they said they lost him for 10-12 hours. They compared those hours to The Hangover. (yikes!)
                  When 5am hit, Livi and Leyre laid down to nap, then by 7am we headed back to the apartment to sleep. I really wanted to see the running of the bulls but everyone laughed in your face if you told them that because it’s so crowded that it’s almost impossible to even see a bull from the side fences. People wait there all night, otherwise you need a ticket into the bullring, or a balcony to see it and we didn’t have either of them.
                  In the end, Jocelin and Juan had tickets to a balcony viewing so I handed my camera off to her! She did a great job of capturing things I would have taken pictures of! We headed back to Bilbao about 4:30pm and got home around 7pm or so. Again, the views were just lovely and Juan was quite accommodating and kind.  He really enjoyed our conversing and seemed so intrigued to be included in our lives back at home.  Jos and I spoke about differences between the US and UK lives (school expectations/Uni, music, clubs, etc.). When we got home, us 3 girls couldn’t wait to take a shower and wash our clothes! We did so, then went out for dinner. Juan-José (Mr.Anza) took the scenic route and stopped at a beach to get some pretty pictures…. Man, did I love that! There were surfers at sunset with the clouds rolling in and the haze across the sea…
                  Dinner was about 9:30pm and perfect. We went down to the harbor and ate traditional Basque food. Liv and I insisted on buying but we missed out on the time that the Anza’s paid (before the meal!).
                  Monday brought more time in Bilbao with Leyre’s friend Leire.  She drove us to Las Arenas where we took an elevator up one of the oldest bridges to walk across it. It is said that the man who designed it studied under the same man who built the Eiffel Tower.  Despite my fear of heights, we got great views of Bilbao, of both banks of the river, of the harbor where we had dinner the night before, and of all of the construction workers tidying up and painting the bridge..(scary!).  After our way back down, Leire knew of a great place for Tapas.  I tried a typical Basque country tapa: some type of fish with cheese, garlic, and some white sauce all on a slice of baguette.  Liv wanted to get a ring so Leire took us to a shopping mall to check it out.  Success! Leire dropped us off at Leyre’s house and we skyped/emailed/packed for La Francia!

Finally, we took the tram into Bilbao and met with Leyre’s dad to say goodbye. We took a quick trip to the Googenheim Museum and walked around Bilbao (belles photos).  I do wish we wouldn’t have slept as much as we did in Bilbao; I feel bad that we didn’t visit with the Anza’s as much as we should have.  We were so short on sleep, though… that just means I’ll have to make another trip back after camp! 

Comments

Popular Posts