Leolingo goes to the Baltic Sea!


The following morning was rough. We went to bed about 3:30am or so and got up about 7:30 to start packing, etc.  I thanked my host dad * ultrally * for his kindness of the past weeks and HUGE help! He sent us on our train where we met the boys on our way up north to Wismar.  Six train changes and 13.5 hours later, we arrived in Wismar.
I cannot tell you how different it feels to be in the north of Germany compared to the south. Even the people are different I feel.  People are a bit “trashier”, smokers, more piercings, tattoos, I don’t know, the south just seemed more family-esk.  Plus, the buildings are extremely different.  We pull into train stations and I swear it feels like Hitler is going to arrive any moment; it still looks/feels occupied (if I would imagine Germany how it was).

THE BALTIC SEA: Outside of Wismar: Beckerwitz 
The week at the Baltic Sea was no doubt a “bonus week”… we all agreed! Cailin, Alf, Brendan and I got to sleep in and the kids didn’t come until 1pm. There were two classes from a school in Hamburg. Not only did we get a shortened week on the beach but 4 teachers came along as well, meaning that we, the counselors, got a lot of free time!
Each of us got a group of 14. Monday was a half day, which basically ended up being a giant game of Capture the Shoes anyway.  This is the traditional group game we play every Monday.  It’s a chance for the kids to get to know the silly side of us right away. We paint their faces (ae: glasses, mustaches, whiskers, etc.) and then, at the end, let one of two kids paint ours.  I thought only one girl would paint mine but I made the mistake of allowing several to have brushes.  In the end, I had over a half of my face painted bright red!  Let the games begin!


Clumsy me, I chase the kid with the arm cast, tag him out which was followed by tackling him into a pine tree. It took me a bit to get up myself, but then Alf was sure to quickly inform me of the “man down!”. He ended up sitting the next game out and I, by default, volunteered to join him. Periodically, kids stopped by to ask what all the drama was about, why he wasn’t playing, but crying instead.  I don’t know German but by week seven I think I can make out a few mumbles, dirty looks and a word that resembles “bush” at the end of the explanation.  Following that, the group of kids glared at me like I was the lowest of lows, the bitch, essentially- like how dare I ?! Immediately following, I pointed at myself and said, “yes, I did this. I am sorry! I am bad, I am sorry!”  He went inside and I let him cool-off.  Twenty minutes later, I went inside to check on him, and stumbled upon the table of teachers and my new boss sitting in the lobby.  Perrfeccttt.  I explained what had happened, and one of the teachers went to go check on him.  Meanwhile, there I was, being introduced to my new boss, guilty as hell, half of my face covered in what was now crusty, red paint.  If that wasn’t enough, the kids put so much paint on my face that it dripped down my face and neck and onto my Leolingo shirt.  Real classy Sarah.



Tuesday night, us four counsellors took a small path through the farming fields to a separate part of the beach.  It was such a lovely walk and with the breeze coming off of the sea, it was a chilly trip but the moon and clear sky made up for it.  We must have spent an hour or so at the beach, just talking about life and the meaning behind it.  At one point, we were all barefoot, ankle-deep standing on the tide pool rocks, and the only light we could see each other was moonlight.
This week was definitely bonus week. We only had the kids for two whole days, and three half days. Wednesday we took them to the beach and played Sharks n' Minos, Tug-of-War, and castle building contests.  How can you go wrong?!  It was interesting because the tide was so low that it was about 20+ meters until you actually hit the ocean.  There was just flat land with pools out to the sea where little jellyfish were washed up on the shore.  Simone (a teacher) told me that the jellyfish there really don't sting much so it's common to see kids playing catch with them on the beaches in the north.  I'm not sure what kid of jellyfish these are but to me, a jellyfish is a jellyfish and there's no way I'm coming close to those tentacles!
      Marion and Sabina were more than nice! In fact, all of the staff members were marvelous!  Come Wednesday, Marion stopped by to give us (the counsellors) a care package.  Each night the 4 teachers asked us to come down to the lobby and have a beer after the kids went to bed. We didn't actually do so until the last night and it was great!  We had been debating on where to stay for the weekend and just figured we'd stay in Wismar but after discussing our "plans" with the teachers, they invited us back to Hamburg with them!
     The week went on with the usual camp details and Friday we put on a show for the teachers.  It was a sad goodbye, but mostly for the fact that Leolingo was over.  One of the teachers drove us to Hamburg and there, out weekend began!

Comments

Popular Posts